My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://missbhavens.com and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Take a Mental Shower With Me


or click here to videobathe in mpeg4/mp4/Quicktime

Steven Bochco
, acclaimed producer of Hill Street Blues, LA Law and NYPD Blue has decided to make a foray into online video. I find his ideas regarding video on the internet (and internet use in general) a little off-putting.
A distraction? Steve, I'm hurt. I agree that the internet can be distracting, sure, but to characterize the intercommunicative juggernaut that is The Internet as just something that can keep you from getting bored between scooping out the cat box and waiting for your dinner to pop out of the microwave is a little sad. You have saddened me, Steve. So what's he offering the new web 2.0 world? Confessions. Terrific.

"A good anecdote is like a good joke in terms of length, structure and punch line," Bochco said. "Here I am in the most embarrassing moment of my life — that's the punch line. A lot of people don't know when to stop. Find the punch line and go out with that."

Hmmm...okay. I'm listening.What else?
"The charm of this medium lies in its enormous spontaneity," Bochco said, "because these are completely unscripted and sometimes, for a geezer like me, shockingly candid."

Well, that's certainly true.

I suppose I should be happy that a TV bigwig is joining the internet video world with a concept that doesn't (quite) attempt to copy television--there's enough of that already. But still, it doesn't sit right with me. I want more, I want different, I want better.

I think Steven Bochco can do better.
posted by missbhavens @ 5:35 PM |

17 comments

<< Home